IMHA Advocates are specially trained to work within the framework of the Mental Health Act.
The Mind in Croydon Advocacy Service provides an IMHA service to qualifying patients residing in and funded by Croydon. This includes Croydon admission wards at Bethlem Royal Hospital and Croydon residents at PICU.
Anyone who is being treated in hospital or in the community under a section of the Mental Health Act (and some other people) have a right to an IMHA Advocate.
An Independent Mental Health Advocate can help you understand:
- Your rights under the Mental Health Act
- The rights that other people have in relation to the Act
- The parts of the Act that apply to you
- Any conditions or restrictions to which you are subject
- Any medical treatment you are receiving and the reasons for that treatment
And can (with your agreeement):
- Meet with you in private
- Look at your medical (and social services) records
- Speak to the people treating you
- Accompany you to meetings with the people treating you
- Represent you by speaking or writing on your behalf
An IMHA Advocate can continue to work with you even if you are no longer on a section and you are an informal patient.
Who can make a referral?
- Health Staff
- Voluntary Organisations
As the Advocates work as instructed by the individual, consent from that individual is required when making a referral on their behalf.
The Advocacy Service aims to promote the interests and rights of anyone residing in and receiving support through Croydon who may be suffering from mental health problems.
The Advocacy Service (including IMHA) is an independent organisation funded by NHS Croydon and managed by Mind in Croydon.
Currently no waiting list. The service aims to acknowledge referrals within 72 hours and (if appropriate) arrange initial meetings with new referral within 7 days.
How to contact us
To make a referral for a mental health advocate contact us on:
Tel: 020 8763 6730
For other advocacy needs
Telephone: 0345 310 1812
Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
If no-one is available to take your call please leave a message and we will get back to you.