The Anxiety Group is a six-week online course that aims to:
- Help you understand anxiety
- Show you how anxiety distorts your thoughts and feelings
- Help you recognise what stress looks like for you
- Teach you how to remain calm, challenge negative thoughts, overcome worries and face your fears
- Show you how to manage anxiety – for life
What is anxiety?
Anxiety is a word we use to describe feelings of unease, worry and fear. It includes both the emotions and physical sensations we might experience when we’re scared, or worried about something.
Anxiety is common because it’s a normal, healthy reaction to danger. When we’re anxious, adrenaline rushes into our bloodstream, which gives us the energy to ‘run away’ or face the danger. In primitive times, humans wouldn’t have survived for long without this lifesaving ‘fight or flight’ response. There’s also a third response to danger – sometimes, we can feel paralysed, we freeze.
Because anxiety is an automatic response that works so well, it often kicks in when it’s not needed – when the danger is in our heads rather than in reality. When we feel anxious, we often overestimate the actual threat and underestimate our ability to cope with it, and our thoughts run away from us:
- “I’m in danger right now.”
- “The worst is going to happen.”
- “I won’t be able to cope with this.”
No-one can ever be free of anxiety but you can learn how to manage stress, remain calm and stop your anxiety impacting on your life.
Facilitator: Chandrika Patel
Method of Delivery: Online via Zoom
Start Date/Time: Thursday 29th July 2021 @ 6pm to 7.15pm
Sessions: 6 consecutive sessions
Cost: £10 Assessment
£5 per session (unwaged)
£10 per session (waged)
Cost for Out of Borough Clients: £20 per session
For a registration form please contact the Counselling Service on 0208 763 2064 or email: email@example.com.
Posted on: 9th July 2021